Improve your Email Campaign Open Rate
Everyone wants a high open rate because that’s how you know people are seeing your emails, right? Well, if you are looking for a metric showing effectiveness, open rate is not ideal. If a subscriber has blocked images, they won’t be counted, even if they open it! How can you improve your open rate and overall email marketing effectiveness?
Much of the effectiveness of your email campaign depends on the presentation.
The first thing to do is to look at your list. Are the subscribers likely to be interested in your message, or did they come from a purchased list? Has it been so long since you emailed them last that they have lost interest, or even forgotten that they opted-in? Either of those factors will greatly diminish your open (and click-through) rate.
Try sending Email campaigns on Tuesday, Thursday, Friday or Saturday. Consider your audience, though. If you are addressing a business audience, during work hours might be the best time to send. If you are addressing consumers, you might find any time outside of work more effective.
Use your Subject to Increase Email Opens
How many times have you opened an email message because of the subject line? It makes a huge difference. Try these tips:
- Don’t use parentheses, but brackets are OK.
- Do use their name and company name, if applicable.
- Don’t use “?” or “#”
- Do use “&”
- Be passionate, never neutral
- Use words with a high click-through rate like “secret”, “e-sales”, “awesome”, “posts”, “surveys”; but only if they relate to your message.
- Words such as “evaluation”, “administration”, “soon”, “confirm” and “features” get the fewest clicks and most abuse reports. Try to avoid using them.
- Keep your subject line under 10 characters (most effective) or between 50 and 59 characters.
Tips to Increase Email Click-Through Rate
- Send campaigns on Saturday for the highest click-through (again, consider your audience and when they are most likely to have time to read your email).
- Use banners/buttons for links along with text links.
- Link several (4+) times per email, even if it is to the same URL.
Call 800.305.9420×1 today to find out what Email marketing can do for your company!
Sourced partially from a HubSpot webinar from July.
- Open Rates Are Not As Telling As You Think (customerthink.com)
- E-mail Open Rates Declining, Click-Through Rates Rising [Study] (marketingland.com)
- Three Best Practices for Successful Email Campaigns (mdrforum.wordpress.com)
- March, 2012 Findings on Email Open Rates (marketingcharts.com)