I recently wrote an article for the Social Solutions Collective about using Lower Thirds on Google Plus Hangouts. It’s great for personal branding and makes you look like a news anchor!
You can use them for Hangouts you partake in as your business pages, as well, but it requires some extra steps. It comes down to creating a username for your page itself, giving the Hangout Toolbox permission to operate on your page, and understanding where lower third presets are stored. It’s not difficult (just a little tedious) if you follow my simple step-by-step, below.
Enable Lower-Thirds for Your Business Page’s Google Plus Account
You must be the owner of the page (as opposed to being a manager) to do this. You’ll only have to go through this once, and then any page manager will be able to use lower thirds and create their own presets.
- Go to page settings.
- Scroll down to find the “Third-Party Tools” section.
- You’ll see a long, random username.
- Click on Set up a password.
- Enter your existing Google Plus account password when prompted.
- Create a new password for your page (this will not change your personal account password) and Continue.
- You’ll get a confirmation that you have created a username for your account.
- If you want to choose your username, you’ll need a gmail account.
- Copy your new username and paste it somewhere – you’ll need it.
- Click “Open Our Page” to return to the page.
- Sign out.
- Sign back in with the username of your page and your new password.
- Start a Hangout.
- Click “View more apps.”
- Click “Add Apps.”
- Install Hangout Toolbox and give permissions asked.
- End the hangout.
- Log out.
- Log back in with your regular Google Plus account information (not your page username).
- Switch back to your page as usual.
- Start a Hangout.
- Hangout Toolbox is now installed and enabled for any page manager.
- Don’t bother saving presets for other page managers to use -you can only use presets saved to your own profile.
Now, any time you want to use Lower Thirds for a Hangout as your page, just start a hangout as the page and click on the Hangout Toolbox and create a Lower Third or select a preset Lower Third.
Please share your favorite Google Hangout tips below! If you need more explanation of the details of lower thirds on Google Plus hangouts, please see the Social Solutions Collective article about using Lower Thirds on Google Plus Hangouts.
Wondering how to make social media and inbound marketing to work for you? We can help. Please give us a call at 800.305.9420 x1 or fill our our form to request a free marketing assessment.
- Watch a video on setting up Google Toolbox and Lower Thirds for Business Pages.
- How using Google Plus Makes You Like Iron Man (scalablesocialmedia.com)
- Google Plus for Beginners (scalablesocialmedia.com)
- Setting up Your Google Plus Business Page (scalablesocialmedia.com)
- Beginning to Master Google Plus (scalablesocialmedia.com)
- Launching hangouts link change update for bookmarking or shortcuts! (google-plus.com)
- How to Use Google Plus Hangouts Remote Desktop (scalablesocialmedia.com)